Autumn is finally here, which means it’s time to prepare your hair for the colder months. It may be that some of your haircare practices during summer might not work so well now that the weather is getting colder, since the season is notorious for drying out hair. So let’s look at some easy ways to care for your hair this autumn so that it stays healthy and looks great all season long! It’s time to tuck in now, because Autumn is here!
One of the best practices for keeping your hair healthy and strong during the autumn weather is to use a deep conditioner every week or two – don’t wash your hair more than once a day, as it is important to retain its natural moisture and oils. If you have long hair, tie it up before you sleep so that it doesn’t get wet from sweat during the night. In the morning, put in an anti-frizz serum to keep it looking smooth all day! Here are a few other tips itemized so that you can easily refer back to them as needed.
- Be sure to brush out your hair before washing it. This releases any tangles you might have created during sleep or throughout your daily activities, and prevents having your locks all tangled up after washing. Remember, it is never a good idea to brush wet hair, so use a wide-toothed comb to detangle your hair after applying conditioner.
- Use a leave-in conditioner when you wash your hair to keep it moisturized, to allow for continued treatment even days after conditioning.
- Keep your hair away from hot water, which can dry it out. Tepid or warm water helps in blood circulation in the scalp and helps the hair retain its natural moisture.
- Avoid using too many products on your hair, as this will make it oily and heavy, and the different combinations of ingredients might work against each other, resulting in breakage and hair loss. As the expression goes, less is more, so try to find one or two natural products with which to keep your hair looking vibrant and healthy.
- If you want color, get an autumn-hued dye that is more natural looking than bright red or orange, unless, of course, that’s the look you’re going for.
- Wash your hands before touching your wet head of curls to avoid breakage.
- Get a haircut to get rid of split ends and keep your hair healthy.
- Use a heat protector on your hair before using any heating tools such as blow dryers or straighteners.
- Drink lots of water for hydrated hair that is more manageable. Water is important all year round, but during the cooler autumn and winter months it is especially crucial in order to avoid the effects of cold temperatures which can dry out the moisture and result in breakage and frustrating frizzy hair.
- Apply coconut oil to the ends of your hair for extra conditioning and shine.
- If you’re going outside, put some sunscreen on your scalp to protect it from sun damage. Alternatively, wear a hat when you go outside in order to protect against the cold weather and windy conditions.